Content Strategy Lead at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a Content Strategy Lead for our Product division. This role reports to the VP of Product Design, who supports UX & UI design, UX research, and content strategy. Over time, this role will build a team of UX writers and content creators, who will define the UX content strategy, including writing guidelines and principles. The goal is to apply human-centered design to make Planet’s products usable and useful to a complex customer base. This role will be responsible for leading teams of direct reports as well as other writing roles across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop a cohesive content strategy for Planet’s products.
- Work closely with the UX and UI Designers, Usability Researchers to determine how language can improve usability and adoption of Planet’s products.
- Improve the impact and effectiveness of our content through usability research studies, benchmark analysis, data collection, and competitive research
- Work with leadership and cross-functional partners to define content guidelines, principles, and create templates that other teams can apply to their own work
- Collaborate with other writing roles across the organization to unify language across all product- and customer touch points
- Build an internal center of excellence at Planet, championing storytelling, and written excellence. Be the advocate for the proper use of language in our products.
- Manage, mentor and grow a team of UX writers, and content creators
What You Bring:
- 8+ years of experience as a content strategist on a mix of consumer and B2B software products
- 5+ years of experience managing teams of 5 or more, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- A portfolio demonstrating examples of professional UX writing and editorial projects: including the results and how you got there
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong degree of empathy for others (both customers and co-workers)
- A learning mindset and resilience -- you are able to apply your creative skills to overcome roadblocks and challenges
- A flexible approach: you apply principles over process and can adjust situationally
- A customer centric mindset and a history of positive influence on writing & design culture at other companies
- Proven problem solving: You like hard problems and aren’t afraid of complexity
- A passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Proven ability to build and lead teams that ship world-changing products in fast-paced environments
- Experience building and mentoring world-class content strategy teams and building customer-centric cultures
- Experience with cross geographical team coordination and management
- Previous experience with GIS, geospatial data and/or remote sensing -- even if it’s only tangential
- Experience creating content guidelines for SaaS and/or B2B products
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $138,600 - $211,500. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.