Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50(for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partnersto the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
As an Executive Producer for SkillzTV, you are a storyteller, tactician, leader, and visionary, all wrapped up into one person. You are not daunted by tackling problems that no one has faced before, but rather are thrilled to forge a path through new terrain, and drive your team forward. You can try new things, and succeed or fail, analyze your experience, glean tangible takeaways, and evolve accordingly.
Execution, timelines, budgets, and logistics are second nature to you, but you know exactly how to leave enough room to let creativity flourish. You understand how to weave a narrative across different platforms using the latest technologies, and can direct a team to see your vision through. Despite the pressure of live content, you maintain a steady hand and tackle issues rapidly with poise and grace. While you are working with our leadership to chart a media strategy, you can still get your hands dirty and guide the creative process from the trenches when needed.
You are a factory that takes in creative talent, cutting edge technology, and strategic vision, and translates that into high spectacle viewing experiences with deep suspense and emotional storytelling.
If this sounds like you, then you’re who we’re looking for.
What you’ll do:
Like any offline sport, an eSport is comprised of players, gameplay, and spectators. As we build the future of eSports, we need to pioneer an interactive viewing experience in the context of a new industry with brand new technologies. Skillz is launching new game show concepts that will incorporate the thousands of mobile games played by over 15 million players on the Skillz platform. Our broadcasts will provide a central location where viewers can come to watch, socialize and participate in new interactive game shows. We will rely on you to plan, organize, execute, and grow the production of SkillzTV shows, cultivating an experience that is irresistible to viewers, engaging to contestants, and valuable to brands. This includes:
- Ability to find, onboard and manage producers, assistant producers, writers and hosts in daily live show productions that over time will scale to a 24/7 SkillzTV channel.
- Organizing logistics, budgeting and coordinating between various stakeholders within the SkillzTV team and throughout the company
- Having a deep understanding of game play and game theory, a practical sense of what the probabilities of things are, with the ability to construct compelling shows with the right amount of winners while not being too easy.
- Creating engaging games not just for contestants but for viewers, with great “play-along”
- Working with product and management teams to evolve our media capabilities, and steer the direction of our media strategy
- Identifying and building opportunities to integrate novel and scalable brand experiences.
- Utilizing your experience to create and/or oversee all aspects of live production including graphics, animations, videos, music selection, scripts, game concepts, lighting, wardrobe etc.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience in live event TV, web production, or a combination thereof
- Proven ability to contribute in a cross-functional, fast-moving environment
- Ability to communicate and work collaboratively with other team members, product teams, brands, talent, and vendors in order to develop the most effective production processes
- Demonstrated understanding of budgets and estimated costs when conceptualizing programs
- Experience building and leading a production team.
- A passion for living on the bleeding edge of media production
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with streaming and social influencers (Twitch, YouTube live, etc.)
- Exposure to the gaming or eSports industry