Lead Technical Writer at Segment
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:33 a.m. (PST) on Friday, August 7, 2020
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. This empowers our customers to focus on building amazing products and creating personalized experiences for their customers, while we take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. With an incredibly sticky product and minimal direct competition, we’re on track to be the driving force behind powering the entire customer data ecosystem.
Improving our customer experiences is Segment’s top priority for the company this year. When customers deploy Segment successfully they see dramatic business results, but the current process requires a deep understanding of their tech stack and marketing processes. Like all great tools, Segment is simple to understand at a basic level, but mastery of all of our capabilities requires time. World-class documentation is essential to educate customer engineering, IT and marketing teams… and this is where you come in.
As the lead for this team, you will play a pivotal role in scaling the Docs team’s ability to support a seamless onboarding experience for our customers while creating processes and best practices to ensure that good Docs creation is part of the Product Dev process.
Who we’re looking for:
- You are a customer-centric technical writer who is passionate about creating excellent documentation that solves customer problems before they happen.
- You are excited to collaborate across the organization to make customers have clear, accurate, accessible information on how to use Segment and integrate it into their business practices.
- You are excited to build a team of passionate technical writers just like you.
- You love user feedback and are excited to work with support engineers to identify and address gaps and errors in documentation.
- You love partnering with product teams to make product launches more successful by concurrently releasing exceptional documentation.
- You want to make sure every technical writer on your team knows exactly what they should be working on and their priorities align with the rest of the organization.
- You are customer-centric. You build research-driven, empathetic experiences that delight users of all technical fluencies.
Projects you could work on:
- Build processes to better capture and triage the information and signals received by our Support team and use that information to inform docs priorities and projects.
- Create practices for the rest of the organization that encourage and enable cross-functional teams to keep documentation accurate and discoverable.
- Find ways to surface the documentation across customer surfaces to make sure our users are always informed about how to use Segment.
- Create documentation that scales the support team’s bandwidth and their ability to serve our customers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience documenting for SaaS/web applications, especially at an enterprise scale.
- 8+ years of technical writing for user-facing, production-level documentation.
- 2+ years managing, mentoring, and training teams of Technical Writers.
- Experience using Git.
- 2+ years of experience of building strategy and process to support customers, drive fluency through the business, and using customer data to inform decisions and prioritization.
- Experience in large-scale, cross-functional projects that empower teams such as Product, Engineering, Support, Sales, and Partnerships to drive incredible business outcomes.
- Familiarity with static site builders (Jekyll and similar) and Liquid template language
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Segment’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.
Read Full Job Description