Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
- Extensive experience with creative development of longform content: written pitches/treatments/decks, preferably for television or film.
- Exceptional research and writing skills.
- Excellent storytelling ability: a strong sense of narrative; experience making complicated concepts accessible and engaging; proven skill at crafting a compelling cohesive structure.
- A track record of adherence to journalistic standards that includes rigorous sourcing and fact check. Documentary television or film experience also a plus.
- A track record of owning & launching successful projects, preferably long-form or television documentary content.
- Strong commitment to quality and the ability to adhere to an existing style and brand.
- Organization, precision and attention to detail. Must be able to work independently, as part of a team and be cooperative and flexible.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment with multiple teams/stakeholders.
- Adaptability, remaining cool under pressure and being able to adjust to changing circumstances. Must be able to prioritize tasks while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Experience working with high-level talent preferred.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Own the creation of decks, treatments and proofs-of-concept for multiple classes at a time under the guidance of a Creative Director or the Head of Content.
- Collaborate with Content Design Team on materials creation
- Work cross-functionally with Talent and Marketing teams to incorporate team objectives and feedback
- Ensure smooth handoff and transition of class materials from development phase to pre-production phase and from development team to producer team
- A portfolio that should include sample development pitch materials like treatments, decks or creative briefs; may also include magazine or newspaper articles, op-ed pieces or reviews, digital or print. May also include longer-form pieces like serialized content like podcasts, blogs or newsletters, web design , books, etc.)
- 5-10 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree (we love lifelong learners, so advanced degrees are a plus!)
- Candidate must be located in California and will work remotely with members of our San Francisco and LA teams.
- Experience working in a professional environment
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
Please note that the Producer role is a temporary position for project-based work.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.