Producer at MasterClass
Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
- Strong storytelling ability: make complicated concepts accessible and engaging. You will knit together the personal stories of the masters with the course lessons, making content that is intimate, entertaining, and most importantly educational.
- Strong creative development skills, including writing pitches and communicating visual concepts.
- Experience with extensive long-form documentary storytelling and adherence to journalistic standards. Documentary television experience also a plus.
- Experience conducting interviews on set.
- Strong sense of narrative and ability to craft a compelling cohesive structure.
- Individual must be extremely well-organized, precise, and detail-oriented. Must be able to prioritize tasks while maintaining a calm and professional demeanor in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to work independently, as part of a team and be cooperative and flexible, remaining cool under pressure and able to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Experience working in post with archivally-driven documentaries. Familiarity with the licensing process, understanding how archival deepens storytelling.
- Strong experience in working with editors and giving notes.
- Experience working with interview-driven content and creating paper edits (required).
- Comfortable working with music libraries - choosing a creative direction and working with the editor to execute.
- Ability to articulate a vision for graphics and give clear and concise notes to graphic designers.
- Experience in film or video development, production, and post/editorial end-to-end. Knowledge of Adobe Premiere a plus.
- Ability to lead and drive direction and accountability to large teams, including editors, junior creatives.
- A track record of owning & launching successful projects, preferably long-form or television documentary content.
- Strong commitment to quality and ability to adhere to an existing style and brand.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Own the creation and production of multiple classes at a time under the (typically one in production and one in post) under the guidance of a Creative Director or the Head of Content, interfacing with internal teams as well as the instructor to produce the best product possible
- Conduct in-depth research, write pitch materials, and develop and communicate a clear creative vision for filming (including a visual deck and clear shooting plan.)
- Work with researchers and subject matter experts to craft curriculums for a specific instructor
- Own the post-production of a class(es) under the guidance of a Creative Director and in collaboration with an editor.
- Create paper edits from transcripts, review stringouts, communicate direction to editors, and address internal and external feedback.
- Develop an archival vision for the class, conduct archival research, and direct editor on how to incorporate the archive.
- Provide direction on music and graphics, including clear concise notes.
- Generate additional deliverables for classes such as marketing selects and lesson descriptions.
- One or more of the following: sample development pitch materials; paper edit; video work that illustrates the ability to craft a narrative (to be added as "portfolio" within the application)
- 7-10 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree (we love lifelong learners, so advanced degrees are a plus!)
- Candidate must be located in California and will work remotely with members of our San Francisco and LA teams.
- Experience working in a professional environment
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
Please note that the Producer role is a temporary position for project-based work.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.