Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
About This Role:
We are looking for a seasoned editor to join our Publishing team to edit class workbooks and help shape the editorial vision for supplemental class materials. The Workbooks Editor must demonstrate excellent editorial judgment while collaborating with the broader editorial team in producing assigned workbook projects.
What We’re Looking For:
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Expert-level project management skills
- Willingness to drive into new subject areas and become an expert -- never ending curiosity
- Ability to work and make decisions independently
- Developmental and copy editing of all assigned workbook manuscripts
- Develop and maintain style guide for workbooks
- Collaborate with Motion Graphics team on content for workbook and in-class graphics
- Assist Deputy Editor with the following:
- Defining scope and vision for the workbook
- Sourcing, contracting, and managing writers
- Setting and maintaining production calendars
- Managing proofreader edits/workflow on in-class copy
- Providing design inputs and suggestions to design team
- 3+ years of editorial experience at a premium media company
- Working knowledge of InDesign and InCopy a plus (but not required)
- Developmental experience with longform content
- Ability to commission a variety of writers
- Excited to work with a small interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree
- Work full-time in our Los Angeles office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.