Nearly every company in the world runs on custom business software: Gartner estimates that up to 50% of all code is written for internal usage. This is the operational software for refunding orders, underwriting loans, moderating content, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, onboarding employees, analyzing transactions, providing customer support…the list is nearly endless. For most companies, building and maintaining all of these tools demands a lot of engineering time—scarce, expensive resources better put to use on customer-facing products.
At Retool, we’re designing a new type of development environment that makes it dramatically faster and easier to build all of this software. Retool unifies the ease of visual programming with the power of code, while abstracting away the tedious and repetitive tasks of development. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster and build a lot more software. It’s akin to a new version of Visual Basic, HyperCard, or Flash—with a bit of Figma and some future-of-programming vibes thrown on top. Today, our customers span from small startups building their first operational tools, to Fortune 500 companies building mission-critical apps for thousands of users across their business.
WHY WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU:
Retool has set out to radically rethink how this custom internal software is built. We’ve created a new type of development environment, combining visual, drag-and-drop manipulation with code-based customization. It seamlessly integrates with nearly any data source and enables instant deployment to end-users. It’s a force multiplier for developers building internal tools, dramatically faster and easier than writing software from scratch.
Retool is a fast-growing company with quickly evolving business needs. We’re looking to hire an Analytics Engineer to help us build out our data warehouse and business intelligence systems to serve the needs of our business today and for a broader scale years from now. We're looking for someone who is ready to get their hands dirty, is motivated by having an impact on the business, and is constantly curious. This is the right role for someone who thrives while making sense of the blurry space that is data at a high growth startup.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
As an Analytics Engineer, you will build a foundation that strengthens Retool’s data culture at scale. You’ll initiate projects that solidify Retool’s data capabilities and help the company remain data-driven. Our data team is in its early stages, so you will have the opportunity to help define our data team structure and operating rhythm for the future. You’ll develop data sets to streamline operations, inform strategic priorities, and develop product insights. We’ll look to you to define key metrics and develop dashboards that empower stakeholders to make data-informed decisions. You’ll take on ownership of our data stack to ensure that your teammates are able to access the data they need to make decisions and technical teams are able to quickly implement events. We’ve already built out a solid stack on top of Segment, Databricks, dbt, and of course, Retool, but we need your help to ensure it scales with the company as our user base grows.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH:
As part of our data team you’ll work with stakeholders across the business, including finance, marketing, engineering, product, operations, and support. You’ll be joining a broader team of Retools who are passionate about serving our customers, enjoy collaborating to build an incredibly innovative product, and enjoy swapping stories. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Use dbt to architect, build, and maintain a scalable data warehouse on top of Databricks Delta Lake
- Create documentation, data quality systems, and best practices to ensure Retool’s data warehouse is accessible and reliable
- Design our Analytics and Business Intelligence architecture, assessing and implementing new technologies where fitting
- Build and maintain scalable data pipelines
- Work with our engineering teams to validate existing data sources, identify opportunities to improve data quality, and craft requirements for robust new instrumentation as needed
- Develop dashboards and define metrics that drive key business decisions
- Partner with business teams to deploy robust reports and analyses, surfacing key insights that shape Retool’s future direction
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- Background in Analytics Engineering, Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, or Data Analytics
- Ideally 3+ years of experience managing and building a large complex data model across a range of sources
- Experience implementing and defining data best practices at scale
- Strong SQL skills including advanced syntax, query & table storage optimization techniques, and manipulation of complex data types like JSON
- Excellent business acumen with the ability to translate stakeholder requirements into data models
- Hand-on knowledge of ETL and data warehouse technologies (i.e. dbt, BigQuery, Redshift, Airflow, Snowflake)
- Skilled at data visualization, with strong opinions on the right way to distill information to various audiences
- Comfortable with common git workflows and at least one scripting or statistical programming language (ideally Python and/or Scala)
- A solution-oriented growth mindset. You’ll need to be a self-starter and thrive in a dynamic environment
- A bias towards communication and collaboration with business and technical stakeholders
- Quantitative rigor and systems thinking
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
At this time, Retool is only set up to employ in the US and UK.