Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 20 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Applied Research Scientist to join our Engineering team. In this role, you’ll be able to bring state-of-the-art research into Grammarly and advance the state of the art by finding new solutions for problems that have never been solved before. Our team is thinking big-picture about the state of NLP and opportunities to help people communicate more effectively. This requires writing production code to bring machine learning models, including deep learning models, efficiently into production.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.Your impact
An Applied Research Scientist will need to stay up-to-date on the quickly evolving field of NLP while also focusing on building production systems. The majority of the problems we’re tackling haven't already been solved elsewhere, which provides the opportunity for creativity and innovative problem-solving.
In this role, you will:
- Develop state-of-the-art tools for correcting, improving, and enhancing written English by using a variety of NLP, machine learning, and deep learning technologies.
- Raise the depth and quality of research across the team.
- Stay up to date with the latest research trends that could improve our product.
- Produce sound experimental results to enable decision-making as we iterate on a project.
- Be results oriented in the face of ambiguous problems and uncertain outcomes.
- Have the option to produce research papers for top conferences in machine learning, computational linguistics, and related areas.
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to solve large, complex problems with multiple stakeholders and no obvious solution.
- Takes initiative and drives results.
- Applies creativity to solve problems that haven't been solved before.
- Ruthlessly follows the data, looking for evidence to disconfirm hypotheses and changing perspectives when that's what the data indicates.
- Writes efficient, production-quality code.
- Is comfortable applying the latest research to Grammarly use cases, as well as pushing the state of the art forward.
- Understands traditional machine learning algorithms and how to use them effectively in practice.
- Has a strong working knowledge of statistics as it relates to sampling methodologies and designing experiments.
- Has worked with text data in a research context or in industry-building intelligence systems.
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program.