The Business Intelligence (BI) team is responsible for ensuring proper data governance at Udemy. As a business intelligence engineer, you will work on projects that enhance the availability and usability of high quality data throughout the company. Through data modeling, standardization, and documentation, you will enable internal stakeholders to work more efficiently and effectively with data. And through self-serve analytics and training, you’ll play a central role in driving a strong data culture at Udemy.
This role is not just about solving a well-defined set of tasks (e.g., report building). Rather, we are looking for sharp, independent individuals with a talent for structuring solutions related to how we organize our data, and who share our passion for improving lives through learning!
- Become the expert on all aspects of Udemy's data reporting and analytics infrastructure
- Collaborate with analysts, product managers, members of the finance team and other data-driven internal stakeholders to identify opportunities for better data access and usage
- Develop and maintain data definitions for internally available data sources
- Assist with training of business stakeholders on self-service tools that can be used to effectively obtain data
- Work closely with data engineers to enhance infrastructure, improve reliability, and strengthen database performance
- 2+ years of experience working in business intelligence, analytics, data infrastructure, or equivalent
- Excellent SQL skills with experience building tables in a production environment
- Strong communication skills to partner with and understand the needs of every data-consuming team in the company
- Self-driven, highly motivated and able to learn quickly
- Experience with data processing frameworks and tools, such as Redshift, Hive, Spark, etc
- Experience implementing a BI tool like Looker or Periscope
Preferred, but not required:
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms
- Fluent in Python, Java, or Scala
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description