Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a Data Analyst on the Platform Engineering team, you will play an integral role in helping us make decisions using data. You will work closely with business and technical partners to craft end-to-end data solutions from sourcing and wrangling relevant data, to building out dashboards that reveal data insights.
Impact You’ll Own:
- You have a proven record of creating reports and visualizations to support the measurement of key performance indicators (KPI) relating to cloud cost and operational performance.
- You have experience developing and maintaining dashboards and reporting for internal stakeholder
- You are proficient working cross-functionally to understand business requirements and translate them to effective visuals and dynamic reporting applications
- You have experience building reports and tooling from different data sources in a comprehensive way to clearly see and easily discover insights, patterns and answer business questions .
- You have experience identify, analyze, project, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
What You Bring:
- Strong business acumen - the ability to interface with stakeholders from different divisions of the company, understand business issues, and formulate the right questions to be asked of the data.
- Strong quantitative skills - ability to develop analytical methodologies, scrape large datasets and synthesize findings.
- Strong communication skills - ability to summarize and share results with stakeholders and senior leaders
- The ability to translate these questions into data analysis requirements and work with the Engineering teams to design and implement the right process
- *Advanced SQL skills with knowledge of programming languages like Python a plus
- A collaborative spirit and proactive can-do attitude
- Experience building dashboards using tools like DataStudio or Tableau
What Makes You Stand Out:
- *Minimum 5+ years professional experience
- You love to roll up your sleeves and create a dashboard or a data visualization to understand a specific issue.
- You can deep dive into a problem, understand what data may be needed, and design or implement the solution
- Solid understanding of Google Cloud Infrastructure, proficiency with BigQuery and SQL a plus.
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining, and segmentation techniques
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.