A key data team responsibility is to ensure proper data governance at Udemy. As a data engineer, you will work on projects that enhance the availability and usability of high quality data throughout the company. Through data modeling, performance tuning and parsing unstructured data, you will enable internal stakeholders to work more efficiently and effectively with data. We are looking for talented individuals with a passion for structuring solutions to broad, ambiguous questions related to how we use our data.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Work closely with other data engineers to enhance infrastructure, improve reliability, and strengthen database performance
- Collaborate with data scientists, product managers, marketers and other data-driven internal stakeholders to identify opportunities for better data access and usage
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the data warehouse ecosystem
- Become the expert on all aspects of Udemy's data reporting and analytics infrastructure
- Develop and maintain data definitions for internally available data sources
We're excited about you because you have:
- 3+ years of experience working in engineering, data infrastructure, business intelligence or equivalent
- Solid software engineering skills and proficiency with object-oriented or functional programming languages, such as Python, Scala, and Java
- Excellent SQL skills with experience building tables in a production environment
- Knowledge in ETL performance tuning/query optimizationExperience with data processing frameworks and tools such as Redshift, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, and Kafka
- Self-driven, highly motivated and able to learn quickly
- Strong communication skills to partner with and understand the needs of every data-consuming team in the company
Preferred, but not required:
- Experience implementing a BI tool like Looker or Periscope
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description