Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
As Benchling’s first Data Engineer, you’ll join a rapidly growing, world-class engineering team and form the foundation of our data engineering function. You will build the next generation of our data infrastructure and enable the company to answer key questions and make better decisions. Benchling is growing really quickly, and you’ll be setting the bar for high quality data and a metrics-driven culture as we scale.
In addition, Benchling is building its own analytics product for customers to enable deep analysis of scientific R&D data. You’ll serve as a key input and work closely with the product team to bring data engineering best principles and techniques to our customers / industry.
- Define and design data pipelines and data integrations to collect, clean, and store large scale, cross-functional datasets.
- Build dashboards / reports and empower the business to answer key questions across sales, marketing, customer experience, recruiting, and engineering.
- Engineer changes to the Benchling product itself to provide deeper instrumentation, unlock new datasets, and enable powerful feedback loops.
- Work closely with teams across sales, marketing, customer experience, recruiting, and engineering to develop data platform strategy and establish best practices.
- BS or MS degree in computer science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of industry experience designing and building data processing systems
- Driven by creating positive impact for our customers and Benchling's business, and ultimately accelerating the pace of research in the Life Sciences
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Comfortable with SQL and Python (or some other scripting language)
- Experience with BI visualization tools such as Tableau or Looker
- Plus: experience with Spark, Airflow, Map Reduce, data warehouses, and other big data technologies
- Plus: experience with marketing domain
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.