Data Scientist - Algorithms
ABOUT THE ROLE:
From building the world’s most comprehensive knowledge graph to enabling content discovery across Udemy’s catalog of over 100,000 courses, Data Scientists at Udemy develop the algorithms and models that drive Udemy’s two-sided marketplace by combining software engineering best practices with rigorous quantitative approaches.
As a Data Scientist in our Algorithms track, you will be partnering with product managers, designers, and engineers to build algorithmic and model-driven solutions to power data products that affect the user experience. Success in this role requires a combination of product intuition, data analysis skills, machine learning, and the coding chops to dive head first into development on production systems.
Note: Algorithms is one of three Data Scientist tracks at Udemy (Insights, Inference, and Algorithms). Please refer to those job descriptions for additional context and only apply to one of the three roles.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and engineers to scope and build data products
- Perform statistical analysis, key metrics, and feature engineering for data products
- Develop production-grade data pipelines to power ML-based data products
- Design and analyze experiments and monitor performance of data products
- Proactively influence product prioritization through data-driven insights
- Provide technical mentorship to others
- Assist other Data Scientists and perform ad hoc analyses when necessary
- Build Udemy’s technical brand through talks, blog posts, and publications
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 1+ years of hands-on data science experience building complex data products
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of statistics, machine learning, and natural language processing
- Proficiency with SQL and 1+ programming languages (e.g., Python or Scala)
- Familiarity with standard software engineering practices and distributed computing
- Experience using big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark)
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description