Data Scientist - Inference
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Data Scientist in our Inference track draw on a combination of complex experiments, causal inference methods, and business intuition to find actionable insights that drive key business decisions at Udemy, answering questions such as: what makes a course great? are ratings a reliable signal of course quality in a two-sided marketplace? how should courses be priced to reflect their value? what are the drivers of long-term customer satisfaction? what makes a healthy marketplace and how do we measure it?
As a Data Scientist in our Inference track you will be partnering with business leaders, product managers, marketers, designers, and engineers to identify, scope, and execute on data-driven analyses requiring causal inference to inform business decisions. Success in this role requires a combination of business intuition, broad knowledge and expertise of causal inference methods, practical data analysis experience, and strong communication and collaboration skills.
Note: Inference is one of three data scientist tracks at Udemy (Insights, Inference, and Algorithms). Please refer to those job descriptions for additional context and only apply to one of the three roles.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with stakeholders to inform business direction
- Perform data analyses that may require causal inference to surface business insights
- Proactively influence prioritization through data-driven insights
- Provide technical mentorship to others
- Design and analyze complex experiments beyond those of a standard A/B test
- Assist other Data Scientists and perform ad hoc analyses when necessary
- Build Udemy’s technical brand through talks, blog posts, and publications
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 2+ years of relevant hands-on industry experience in causal inference/econometrics, decision science, and/or experimental design
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Extensive knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and causal inference/econometrics
- Strong business intuition and judgement
- Strong data storytelling and data visualization ability
- Proficiency with SQL and 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description