Data Scientist - Inference
Faire is using statistics and machine learning to change wholesale and help local retailers compete with Amazon and big box stores. Our experienced data scientists and machine learning engineers are tackling experimentation, causal inference, recommendations, ranking, search, logistics, underwriting, and more - all with the goal of helping local retail thrive.
The Data Science team owns a wide variety of algorithms and models that both power and help us understand our marketplace. We care about building statistical and machine learning models that help our customers thrive. How fast can we reach significance on our ranking AB tests? How do we rank relevant best selling makers for our retailers? How does the adoption of our mobile app change retailer behavior? What other great insights can you surprise us with?
We’re looking for someone who’s comfortable working on difficult inference problems using both cutting edge and proven techniques. You’re happy working autonomously and delivering results without micromanagement. You wake up ready to take a problem end-to-end, dive into the guts of our information-rich databases, and produce actionable insights. You can’t wait to push the boundaries and discover the next big thing, then share it with your peers. You are or will be world-class in experimental and observational inference, and help lead the wider data community. Faire will soon be known as a top destination for data science and machine learning, and you will help take us there!
You’re excited about this role because…
- You’ll be able to work on cutting edge inference problem combining a wide variety of data about our retailers, makers and products
- You want to use experimentation and causal inference to help local retailers and independent makers succeed
- You want to be a foundational member of a fast-growing company
- You like to be challenged working on marketplaces and networks
- 3+ years of experience using causal inference to solve problems with large datasets, either in the real world or through your academic research
- Experience with observational causal inference methods (SEM, potential outcomes, IV, RD, DD, clustering, fixed effects, etc., and an understanding of the trade-offs associated with each)
- Experience with experimental design as well as an understanding of the myriad pitfalls of controlled experimentation and how to mitigate them
- Strong skills in statistics, probability, and/or machine learning, with a focus on their use in inference
- A track record of performing data science. The tooling/language isn’t important. (e.g., Python, R, Julia, dplyr, Pandas, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Excitement and willingness to learn new tools and techniques
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Relentless resourcefulness and the ability to thrive in a startup -- you’re willing to do what needs to be done for the success of your team
- Nice to have: MSc or PhD in any mathematical or statistical subject, e.g., mathematics, economics, statistics, computer science, astrophysics, neuroscience, operations research, any of the physical sciences
- The ability to self-regulate and get stuff done with minimal direct supervision
- An intense curiosity and need to figure things out for yourself
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with others in a closely collaborative team environment
What We Offer
- We’re growing fast. You will get in on the ground floor of something that’s going to be special.
- We’re funded by the best VCs in the world.
- Our founding team is experienced and led the development of one of the top 25 apps in the US App Store (Square Cash).
- Great technology stack. It’s fun to work with the best tools and the latest software.
- The business makes sense. It’s straightforward, provides clear value to both retailers and makers. You get to help change an entire industry for the better.
- It’s beautiful. Work on something that’s well-designed, following the footsteps of Apple and Square.
Faire is an innovative online marketplace that uses machine learning to match local retailers with the makers of products that uniquely fit their stores. We are using the power of technology to connect makers and boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 50,000 small business owners.
Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling. It’s a way of life that offers people a level of autonomy and fulfillment that’s become difficult to find elsewhere in our economy. Most of our customers have left behind jobs they hated to take a chance on themselves. We want to make sure their boldness and self-belief gets rewarded.
This mission also extends to the way we are building the company. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression