Data Scientist - Insights at Udemy
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:23 a.m. (PST) on Tuesday, April 7, 2020
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Data Scientists in our Insights track draw on a combination of quantitative methods and business intuition to find actionable insights that drive key business decisions at Udemy, answering questions such as:
What metrics should business areas be monitoring and goaling against?
What are potential causes for changes in customer behavior?
What are the bottlenecks in our conversion funnels?
What issues do instructors face in the course creation process?
How should we think about segmenting our user base?
Data Scientists in our Insights track perform several highly critical functions:
- Serve as subject matter experts in their embedded business area (e.g. Product, Marketing, Udemy for Business, Executive Leadership…) when working with Data Scientists in our Inference and Algorithms tracks
- Identify, scope, and execute on data-driven analyses to help guide business decisions
- Act as data evangelist to create a data-driven culture across the company
Success in this role requires a combination of business intuition, broad knowledge of statistical methods, practical data analysis experience, and strong communication and collaboration skills.
Note: Insights is one of three Data Scientist tracks at Udemy (Insights, Inference, and Algorithms). Please refer to those job descriptions for additional context and only apply to one of the three roles.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Collaborate with stakeholders to inform business direction
- Proactively influence prioritization through data-driven insights
- Provide technical mentorship to others
- Design and analyze standard experiments and conduct ad hoc analyses
- Define metrics and build dashboards to track product and business health
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of data
- Knowledge and willingness to use the right tool (a scripted model, a dashboard, a presentation) for each analysis
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 2+ years of relevant experience in a combination of business/analytics roles (e.g. data science/analytics, management consulting, or business operations)
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong business intuition and judgement
- Expert level data storytelling and data visualization ability
- Broad knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and causal inference
- Expert SQL ability and proficiency with 1+ programming languages (e.g., R or Python)
- Experience with BI tools (e.g. Looker, Chartio, or Tableau)
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description