Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet works closely with various European space agencies and governments. We are seeking a career remote sensing scientist and strategic thinker to engage with the Earth science community throughout Europe. The position is based in Europe.
Impact you’ll bring:
Strategic coordination across the European scientific remote sensing community; you’ll work closely with ESA, JRC, the EU, DLR, the UK Catapult effort and others to drive increasing adoption of Planet data in the European remote sensing community.
What you’ll bring:
- A demonstrated passion for engaging scientists at all career levels, particularly undergraduates, underrepresented groups, and starving grad students.
- Premiere scientific remote sensing credentials, with a demonstrated track record of scientific collaboration, research, communication and publication.
- Creative approach to remote sensing science, with an interest in sensor fusion, analysis-ready data.
- Fluency with the capabilities of ESA’s Sentinel Program and the NASA Landsat Program.
- Exceptional english writing and communication skills.
Nice to haves:
- Prior experience in European based space agencies or geospatial organizations.
- Prior experience in European research or geospatial organizations.
- Geospatial software development experience.
- German, French, Spanish.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer RSUs for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-NB1#LI-REMOTE