Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to lead our Data Infrastructure team to help us scale to the next level. As a manager reporting to the Director of Data Platform, you will have significant leadership and outsize influence on the evolution of Discord's streaming and batch data systems.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!What you'll be doing
- Build and lead an exceptional team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Drive the vision and roadmap for the Data Platform team by working with your team and stakeholders across the company.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers.
- You're a mentor, storyteller, and you're great at coordinating with a variety of teams throughout the company.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges, and then building them.
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You've worked with complex distributed data systems deployed at scale.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but love to code when the opportunity arises.
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new tools to use to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with modern data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Flink, Kafka, or Beam)
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.