Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a Head of Data Science. This role reports to the President of Product and Business, and supports Planet’s product and technology teams (and beyond) through data science. Data science at Planet is not just about making it easy to understand what’s already happening; it’s about strategically understanding opportunities and influencing our roadmap through quantitative analysis of our products, customers, and market. This role is responsible for guiding and leading teams consisting of both direct reports as well as matrixed employees from across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Be the champion for the customer, from identifying their challenges and opportunities in data, to highlighting potential solutions.
- Work with leadership and cross-functional partners to define a lasting vision for the product
- Build and support an incredible team of data scientists, balancing bottom-up and top-down decision making, and providing for career growth and development.
- Encourage high performance and innovation by engaging employees in decision-making and development of new product and process improvement ideas
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of experience in data science supporting commercial or government software products
- 5+ years of experience managing teams of 10 or more, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- A passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Proven ability to build and lead teams that ship world-changing products in fast-paced environments
- Experience hiring world-class data science leaders and building customer-centric cultures
- A growth mindset and a desire to learn quickly
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with cross geographical team coordination and management
- Proven problem solving skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $156,600- $243,900. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.