Market Research Lead at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet seeks a Market Research Lead to help the company become the consolidator in the Earth Observation ecosystem, both in the aerospace and cloud-native geospatial sectors. As the Market Research Lead you will help define how strategic M&A, Joint Ventures, and other strategic partnerships can help accelerate the product roadmap and drive growth for Planet. You will help identify acquisition targets based on our strategic framework and track their progress. You will be the subject matter expert across the company for anything related to our competitors and develop a set of market intelligence reports for the Executive team. In this role you will be the champion of execution, ensuring clear and focused plans, and ultimately bringing innovative products to market. This position will report to the Vice President of Corporate Development at Planet.
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of Corporate Development opportunities and competitors
- Connect research and market intelligence findings to strategic M&A opportunities
- Assess the competitive landscape, industry developments and emerging customer needs to help guide company strategy
- Distill information across our roadmaps and recommend opportunities that accelerate our strategy
- Identify key industry trends, maintaining relationships with relevant external partners
- Instill a customer-first culture centered around placing Planet customers at the forefront of every business decision
Key Experience Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in market research, consulting, venture capital, or SaaS; high-growth or early stage startup experience is a plus
- Track record of creating and managing a competitive intelligence process
- Expertise with primary and secondary research methodologies
- Experience pulling together qualitative and quantitative information into actionable insight
- Ability to leverage competitive information and forecast industry evolution
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills to engage and collaborate with stakeholders and achieve a shared understanding and vision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project, time, and budget management skills, and being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- Deep understanding of Planet’s mission and customer values, needs, and goals
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1