Principal Data Scientist - NLP, Enterprise Data Science at Capital One (San Francisco, CA)
Center 3 (19075), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Principal Data Scientist - NLP, Enterprise Data Science
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We are not just a nationally recognized credit card issuer, a top 10 bank by deposit, but a high-tech company with products that reach tens of millions of consumers and have been recognized by numerous prestigious awards for their customer-friendliness. Capital One was the first major bank to move to cloud computing and to publish APIs for the Open Banking future. AI is transforming every industry. At Capital One, you will help shape how it transforms financial services.
Enterprise Consumer Product Data Science team builds and ships state of the art scalable architecture, AI/ML solutions for Capital One's award-winning mobile app. We partner with product, tech and design teams to deliver app features that delight customers with dynamic and personalized experiences, enable them to chat with Capital One's digital assistant Eno, or search for useful contents. You will be the driving force to experiment, innovate and create next generation experiences powered by the latest emerging generative AI technologies.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with a cross-functional team of data scientists, software engineers, machine learning engineers and product managers to deliver AI powered products that change how customers interact with their money.
- Leverage a broad stack of technologies - Pytorch, AWS Ultraclusters, Hugging Face, LangChain, Lightning, VectorDBs, and more - to reveal the insights hidden within huge volumes of numeric and textual data.
- Be the expert in NLP to harness the power of Large Language Models (LLMs), adapt and finetune them for customer facing applications and features
- Build machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation
- Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business goals
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Customer first. You love the process of analyzing and creating, but also share our passion to do the right thing. You know at the end of the day it's about making the right decision for our customers.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You're not afraid to share a new idea.
- A leader. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You're passionate about talent development for your own team and beyond.
- Technical. You're comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience working with LLMs and solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- Influential. You are passionate about AI/ML and can bring along a cross functional team in breakthrough innovations.
- Experience training LLMs or large computer vision models as well as expertise in one or more key subdomains such as: training optimization, self-supervised learning, explainability, RLHF.
- An engineering mindset as shown by a track record of delivering models at scale both in terms of training data and inference volumes.
- Experience in delivering libraries, platform level code or solution level code to existing products.
- Bachelor's Degree plus 5 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree plus 3 years in data analytics, or PhD
- At least 1 year of experience in open source programming lanuages for large scale data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
- At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
- Master's Degree in STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) plus 3 years of experience in machine learning, or PhD in STEM field At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
- At least 3 years' experience in Python, Pytorch/Tensorflow
- At least 3 years' experience with natural language processing
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected] . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).