Principal Data Scientist
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
You’re ready to take the next step in your Data Science career - to a fast-moving, successful company building out their world class player matching system! You’re passionate about data and finding patterns and insights that others often overlook. You’re looking to have a big impact on a small team. You’re oozing with curiosity and want to find new and novel ways to leverage your current skill set. You’re an excellent communicator and know that you grow faster from being able to mentor others.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on a platform level player matching system that impacts thousands of games
- Implement models for anomaly detection
- Plan and estimate research projects for the team on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly cadence
- Communicate your findings to a larger business audience
- Mentor more junior team members and be the voice of statistical rigor across the entire organization as your grow your leadership skills
- Simulate new algorithms with bots in a staging environment to understand the impact of your ideas before users see them
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to have your algorithms implemented in production
- 3+ years analyzing customer behavior
- 3+ years programming experience (Python, R or any other relevant language)
- 3+ years of relevant experience in building large scale machine learning or deep learning models and/or systems
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience building and training predictive models
- Excellent at breaking down complicated tasks and delegating the work to others while still ensuring quality
- Experience mentoring more junior team members
- Working knowledge of statistical mathematics
- Prior experience in statistical algorithm design
- Ability to produce ad-hoc reports using SQL
- Basic understanding of optimization methodologies
- Good understanding of A/B testing methodologies
- PhD degree in computer science, engineering, or a related technical/scientific field
- Hands on experience building models with deep learning frameworks like MXNet, Tensorflow, Keras, Caffe, PyTorch, or similar
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
- Prior experience in gaming
- Prior experience in finance