Research Scientist (PhD), [email protected] at Unity Technologies
We are looking for an exceptional researcher to join Unity’s ML-Agents team within [email protected] The ML-Agents team is an applied research team focused on: 1. Enabling Unity as a premier simulation platform for Artificial Intelligence research ranging from locomotion to language-guided visual navigation, and 2. Enabling Unity developers to train character behaviors using machine learning techniques such as deep reinforcement learning and imitation learning. You will be working with a team of researchers and engineers to develop technologies for creating intelligent agent behaviors within Unity environments. Bringing these technologies to the Unity platform has the potential to both transform how games are created, tested, and evaluated, and push forward RL research by providing novel simulation environments.
You will have access to Unity’s vibrant ecosystem of developers and games, providing simulation environments that range from 2D turn-based to 3D real-time strategy, including networked and multi-player games. You will have the opportunity to extend state-of-the-art machine learning within this ecosystem, exploring areas such as generalization and adapting to changing observation and action spaces, efficiently leveraging real player data, hierarchical modeling, multi-agent, active/interactive learning within the Unity Editor and large-scale distributed training.
- Conducting original machine learning research on training character behaviors. This includes algorithm development, experimentation and writing high-impact research papers.
- Experimenting with training character behaviors in live and pre-production Unity games
- Contributing to the development of developer-facing APIs for transforming games into learning environments
- Contributing to the design and development of our large-scale distributed training system
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math or Statistics, Physics, or a related area
- Strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, data structures and algorithms
- Experienced developer with solid skills in Python, C# or C++
- Experience with Deep Learning Frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Published research in Deep Learning or Reinforcement Learning at major conferences or journals
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build relationships across the company
- Contributed to open source projects
- Experience with large scale data/distributed systems
- Experience with Unity Engine, 3D simulators, game development, or robotics
Who we are
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to create, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to create 3D visual content using world-class technology, operate using resources that maximize ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations. The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Facebook, Oculus, Autodesk, and Microsoft to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.