Senior Data Engineer II at Cruise (San Francisco, CA)
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
The Senior Data Engineer, Data Science will work directly with Data Scientists, Autonomous Vehicle (AV) engineers, Product Managers and leadership to develop ELT data pipelines that extract key insights from our massive real-world and simulation data. Your pipelines will generate datasets that serve as the backbone for analyses at the company and will help drive decision making by engineers and executives. You will be responsible for feature development as well as ensuring the pipelines are robust and highly performant. You will also write software that will serve as the platform on which external stakeholders can develop their own data processing pipelines. The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about using data to answer hard questions, delivering robust software, optimizing and automating processes, and collaborating with others to help them solve hard problems.
What you’ll be doing:
Build and maintain data pipelines using Google BigQuery, Dataflow, and other distributed processing tools. These pipelines will process petabytes of information and will:
Pre-process raw AV data to power ML models and to make self-serve analysis simple for Data Scientists and Engineers
Calculate business-critical metrics that are used by executives and engineers to make prioritization decisions
Perform data mining to help accelerate development of AV software
Work with customer teams to turn their analytics questions into data engineering solutions
Build a data platform that enables engineering teams to build and maintain their own distributed data pipelines
Train engineers and cross functional stakeholders on how to most effectively use the data tools at Cruise
Identify opportunities to simplify workflows, automate tasks, and build components that are reusable across multiple use-cases and teams
What you must have:
4+ years experience in Data Engineering or back-end Software Engineering
Strong proficiency with Python and SQL
Experience with building and maintaining distributed data pipelines
Experience with MapReduce frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, BigQuery) and/or Apache Beam/Google Dataflow
Experience with workflow management tooling (eg. Airflow, Kubeflow Pipelines, Luigi)
Creative, resourceful, and enthusiastic about seeking new solutions to problems and opportunities
A track record of leading cross-functional initiatives
Experience with building end-to-end ML workflows (Data Munging -> Data Preparation -> Modeling)
Experience with DBT
Experience working on a data platform team focused on distributed compute
Experience in AV or Automotive industry
The salary range for this position is $118,900 - $160,700. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks available for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
- We’re Integrated
Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, caste, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected].
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Candidates applying for roles that operate and remotely operate the AV: Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active in-state regular driver’s license or equivalent, and no more than one point on driving record. A successful completion of a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check is also required.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.