Chime is the largest and fastest-growing player in the challenger-banking space, providing mobile and online banking technology in the U.S. on behalf of partner banks and facilitating over 10M accounts with no physical branches. We’re a technology company relentlessly focused on helping our members achieve financial peace of mind. That’s why we offer access to an award-winning bank account that doesn’t charge a ton of traditional bank fees, can give members early access to their paychecks, and enables members to grow their savings automatically. And we’re just getting started. We are proud of our mission, devoted to our members, and passionate about applying technology to the challenge of making financial health a reality for everyone.
We have one of the most experienced management teams in Fintech and have raised over $800M in funding from DST, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Coatue, Dragoneer, Menlo, Access, Forerunner, and others. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you.
About the Role
In this role, you’ll be responsible overseeing the design, development and operations of large-scale, real-time data systems. The ideal candidate will be excited by the prospect of owning, optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture and building out a team to support our next generation of products and data initiatives. The data engineering team will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts, data scientists, and machine learning engineers on back-end data initiatives.
We’re looking for a leader who is self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. Your responsibilities will include:
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies
- Work with stakeholders including the Analytics, Risk, Machine Learning, and Technical Operations teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Participate in key technical and design discussions with technical leads in the team as a hands-on manager
- Act as a project manager for the projects that your team is responsible for
- Provide technical leadership to your team by giving guidance on designs and coding when time allows
- Help manage and consult in designing our data governance initiatives
- 6+ years of experience in designing, implementing, optimizing and operationalizing real-time big data analytics systems including data-pipelines, data warehouses and enterprise wide data-flows
- You've earned a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other technical field
- Understanding of the tradeoffs between different big data solutions
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Experience with a variety of traditional, streaming, and big data tools such as:
- Hadoop ecosystem: Hadoop, Hive, Spark
- Kafka, Sqoop, Flume
- Airflow or other workflow scheduler
- Data Warehouses: Redshift, Snowflake (preferred)
- SQL databases, including MySQL, Postgres
- AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS
- Stream-processing systems: Storm or Spark-Streaming or equivalent.
- Advanced SQL, Python, Java and/or Scala
What we offer
- Competitive salary based on experience, with medical and dental benefits.
- Free snacks and drinks, plus weekly catered lunches. (when back in office!)
- Flexible vacation policy.
- Monthly happy hours and company events.
- A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service.
We know great work isn’t done alone. We’re building a team of individuals to Chime in with their different strengths to benefit our employees and members. We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.