Senior Data Engineer, New Initiatives at Dropbox (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
In this role you will build very large, scalable platforms using cutting edge data technologies. This is not a “maintain existing platform” or “make minor tweaks to current code base” kind of role. We are effectively building from the ground up and plan to leverage the most recent Big Data technologies. If you enjoy building new things without being constrained by technical debt, this is the job for you!
- Help define company data assets (data model), spark, sparkSQL and hiveSQL jobs to populate data models
- Help define and design data integrations, data quality frameworks and design and evaluate open source/vendor tools for data lineage
- Work closely with Dropbox business units and engineering teams to develop strategy for long term Data Platform architecture to be efficient, reliable and scalable
- Conceptualize and own the data architecture for multiple large-scale projects, while evaluating design and operational cost-benefit tradeoffs within systems
- Create and contribute to frameworks that improve the efficacy of logging data, while working with data infrastructure to triage issues and resolve
- Collaborate with engineers, product managers, and data scientists to understand data needs, representing key data insights in a meaningful way
- Define and manage SLA for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership
- Determine and implement the security model based on privacy requirements, confirm safeguards are followed, address data quality issues, and evolve governance processes within allocated areas of ownership
- Design, build, and launch collections of sophisticated data models and visualizations that support multiple use cases across different products or domains
- Solve our most challenging data integration problems, utilizing optimal ETL patterns, frameworks, query techniques, sourcing from structured and unstructured data sources
- Optimize pipelines, dashboards, frameworks, and systems to facilitate easier development of data artifacts
- Startup mentality with strong ownership to solve 0-1 problems with minimal guidance and being comfortable with ambiguities
- Excellent product strategic thinking and communications to influence product and cross-functional teams by identifying the data opportunities to drive impact
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- 5+ years of Python or Java, C++, Scale development experience
- 7+ years of SQL experience (No-SQL experience is a plus)
- 5+ years of experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Proven ability in regards to managing and communicating data warehouse plans to internal clients.
- Experience designing, building and maintaining data processing systems
- Experience working with either a Map Reduce or a MPP system on any size/scale
- High tech experiences are preferred
Many teams at Dropbox run Services with on-call rotations, which entails being available for calls during both core and non-core business hours. If a team has an on-call rotation, all engineers on the team are expected to participate in the rotation as part of their employment. Applicants are encouraged to ask for more details of the rotations to which the applicant is applying.