Senior Data Engineer at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
As a Sr Data Engineer, you will work on complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects. You will work with our business partners (Enterprise Data Marts, Financial, Accounting, and Sales) to build a data driven solution that provides business insights and promotes data usability.
Hosted in AWS, our platform embraces modern data processing concepts and open-sourced technologies including a Kinesis-based real-time data pipeline, snowplow-based UI event collection, S3 data lake, Embalk/Airflow based batch framework, Postgre-based data warehouse and a well-defined star-schema serving 200+ active users.
If you and the team are successful, you will make a real impact on the company.Your responsibilities:
- You will help build a data solution supporting Enterprise Data Marts, Financial, Accounting and Sales Ops partners' reporting and analytics needs.
- Perform SaaS vendor evaluation and design scalable and manageable integration
- Develop a deep understanding of data sources, granularity, availability, and limitations
- Build maintainable, scalable data processing pipelines in PostgreSQL, Python, and other data processing language in the data platform running in AWS
- Operate and optimize the existing data pipelines that meet the data delivery and data quality service level agreement
- You will work with product engineering team to influence source system data models and data collection and instrumentation for data consumers need across the company
- Develop data processing technical strategy and be accountable for the execution roadmap
- Over 5 years of experience working in a data centric environment and be fluent in agile/scrum delivery model.
- Familiar with AWS and data management related service offerings
- Consistent track record of leading multiple work streams simultaneously in a fast-paced environment and partnering with multiple business partners
- Ability to handle high ambiguity use cases and set a clear direction and guide your team to solve for complex problem domains.
- Deep understanding of data structures and data architecture with experience on microservices design data modeling and management approaches
- Analytical mindset with natural curiosity toward data and effective in communicating complex analyses.
- A consistent record of taking large data projects from ideation to implementation
- An authority on working with high volume, heterogeneous data using distributed or Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) databases
- Expert in writing Advanced SQL and, performance tuning of SQL
- Strong knowledge about data structure, data algorithm, data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques
- Solid experience in designing and building dimensional data models to improve data quality, accessibility, and usability
- Demonstrate strong understanding of development processes and agile methodologies
- Familiarity with corporate finance/accounting functions and experience with financial systems such as Oracle Financials is a BIG PLUS.
- A System thinker, a scientifically-minded individual who generates hypotheses from observations, conceives creative ways to test hypotheses, presents arguments supported by data, and changes your mind based on new data
- Solid programming skills that enable you to conduct joined design sessions with product engineers optimizing data pipelines from instrumentation of data on the source system to data delivery for analytics and visualization
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you’re working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we’re working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered (especially with our company favorite, Work Online Wednesdays). Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.