Senior Data Scientist - Dasher & Logistics
Come help us build the world's most reliable on-demand, logistics engine for delivery! We are bringing on talented senior Data Scientists to help us develop and improve the machine learning, operations research, and reinforcement learning models that power DoorDash's three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers. We are looking for Computer Scientists, Statisticians, Economists, Physicists, Mathematicians, and other senior quantitative researchers from all disciplines.
DoorDash is at an exciting point in its machine-learning maturity curve where a lot of the "easy" prediction work has been completed but more sophisticated techniques still have the capacity to drive incredible value for the company. DoorDash is also still small enough (~400 engineers) that over the course of a year each of us is able to work on a large set of problems that touch many different facets of the business.
As a senior Data Scientist, you will have the opportunity to leverage our robust data and machine learning infrastructure to develop inference and optimization models that impact millions of users across our three audiences and tackle our most challenging business problems. You will work with other data scientists, engineers, analysts, and product managers to develop and iterate on models to help us grow our business.
- Design always-on experiments/contextual bandits algorithms to improve the marketplace impact of machine learning models trained on unreliable data
- Deploy real-time geospatial forecasting tools to predict future supply and demand and inform our dasher/order matching and dasher positioning systems
- Build the next generation version of those systems using network flow, dynamic programming, queuing, and/or reinforcement learning-based approaches
- Develop in-app machine learning algorithms that gracefully handle data censorship
- Deploy causal machine learning/heterogeneous treatment effects modeling to develop personalized dasher mobilization incentives to more effectively balance supply & demand
- 3+ years of industry experience developing prediction, inference, and optimization models that move business-critical metrics — more experience preferred
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Robotics, Operations Research, or other quantitative field
- Deep understanding of at least two of the following areas: classical machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning/control systems, probability theory, statistics, causal inference, time series forecasting, optimization, dynamic programming
- Demonstrated coding and programming abilities (Python preferred). Software engineering experience is a plus, but not required
- A track record of prioritizing & delivering business impact
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.