Senior Data Scientist
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing player in the challenger-banking space, providing mobile and online banking technology in the U.S. and facilitating over 5M accounts with no physical branches. We’re a technology company relentlessly focused on helping our members achieve financial peace of mind. That’s why we offer access to an award-winning bank account that doesn’t charge hidden fees, can give members early access to their paychecks, and enables them to grow their savings automatically. And we’re just getting started. We are proud of our mission, devoted to our members, and passionate about applying technology to the challenge of making financial health a reality for everyone.
We have one of the most experienced management teams in Fintech and have raised over $800M in funding from DST, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Coatue, Dragoneer, Menlo, Access, Forerunner, and others. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you.
In this role, you’ll build and implement novel machine learning and deep learning algorithms to combat fraud and help scale the risk we take on.
- Understand the fraud and risk processes inherent in our product and how to minimize the same.
- Creatively leverage new and existing data to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our decision-making infrastructure
- Work with engineers to design machine learning solutions that operate quickly and effectively at scale
- Partner with operatives to quickly respond to rapidly evolving threats
- Make business recommendations to the executive and cross-functional teams (e.g. cost-benefit, forecasting, experiment analysis) with effective presentations of findings at multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays of quantitative information
- Help build the next generation of data products at Chime
- 4+ years industry experience developing machine learning models at scale from inception to business impact. Leadership opportunities also available
- Risk, fraud detection experience preferred but not a requirement.
- You've earned a: (a) Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization, Physics, or related field, with experience building production-ready ML models and systems; or (b) MS in CS or related field with 3+ years of experience in implementing and deploying large scale ML solutions
- Deep understanding of and experience of modern machine learning techniques such as classification, recommendation systems, and other shallow learning techniques, data analytics, and statistical models
- Deep experience with ML/DL toolkits: Tensorflow, scikit-learn, XGBoost, Numpy, Scipy, Pytorch. SparkML.
- Strong programming skills - Python preferred (though open to R for candidates with deep Risk/Fraud background). And intermediate to advanced knowledge of SQL and ability to wrangle data from many disparate data sources
- Experience developing and deploying machine learning and/or deep learning solutions into a production environment
- Ability to build tools to monitor the performance of models in production and ability to differentiate the
- The versatility to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical audience
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction and willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques
- Deep learning experience preferred but not a requirement
- Technologies we use: MySQL, R, PHP, Python, AWS, Snowflake, and Looker, among many others.
What we offer
- Competitive salary based on experience, with medical and dental benefits.
- Free snacks and drinks, plus weekly catered lunches.
- Flexible vacation policy.
- Monthly happy hours and company events.
- Dog-friendly office.
- A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of bank.
We know great work isn’t done alone. We’re building a team of individuals to Chime in with their different strengths to benefit our employees and members. We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.