Senior Data Scientist at Zipline
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to serve millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Grow at Zipline with us, as together we make this a reality for billions of people.About You and The Role
Zipline is hiring a Data Scientist to primarily partner with the Perception Software team on work that is focused on reducing the airborne risk of our drones to other flying aircraft. In this role, you’ll analyze data, create compelling visualizations, and report findings to internal and external stakeholders (including the FAA) that communicate drone safety and reliability in a variety of airspace and weather conditions. Secondary responsibilities include data analyses and modeling that support greater Zipline reliability efforts.
What You'll Do
- Carry out analysis that will improve our understanding of the other operators in our airspace and the weather conditions we will be facing in order to scale operations in the US and worldwide.
- Use data to answer questions regarding types of air traffic we should be concerned about in a specific locality or region.
- Provide forecasts of growth of different modalities and provide input into true keep-out zones that are data-driven and defensible.
- Develop forecasting tools for Controllers to make go/no-go decisions while minimizing delays to actual operations.
- Create simulations to achieve safety/reliability goals and build models that would improve our ability to forecast SLAs for customers.
What You'll Bring
- Programming: Advanced proficiency with Python and libraries commonly used for data analysis, e.g., Pandas, Numpy, Scipy, and Matplotlib.
- Data visualization: Adept at summarizing large datasets visually that make complex results understandable at a glance.
- Quantitative skills: Strong understanding of descriptive statistics, probability and linear algebra. Have mastered a wide range of machine learning and statistical techniques, and developed an intuition for what tool to apply in every situation.
- Technical communication: Capable of translating a general question or problem into clearly defined analysis and presenting actionable insights.
- Project management: Adept at triaging analysis requests and balancing multiple projects, deadlines, and stakeholders at once.
- Relevant experience: Experience working with aerospace (ideal), automotive, and/or hardware data.
- Natural curiosity: Eager to work closely with engineering teams and develop domain knowledge about aviation, aviation regulatory policies, and weather.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Location: Must be able to travel to South San Francisco (Headquarters) to work with stakeholders with some frequency (1-2 times quarterly max) and overlap working hours with both GMT and PST time zones.