Senior Security Analyst, Insider Threat at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, the Security Operations team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes our CSIRT, Trust & Safety, Threat Intelligence, and Insider Threat. While no two days will end up looking the same, generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
- You’ll be collaborating cross-functionally throughout the company (Security, Legal, HR, and Business Teams) to design, implement, and execute processes to safeguard our customers and company from potential insider risks and threat actors
- You’ll serve as the ‘front line’ for detection efforts, prioritizing alert reviews, correlation, analysis, and recommendations for further investigation and mitigation efforts
- You’ll refine our alerting rules/tools to reduce noise and target the ‘right’ data, because no one wants to review alerts all day long
- You’ll identify internal vulnerabilities that could be exploited, and marshal the resources to tackle at scale
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team, rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these bullet points seem like a good description of you:
- You are actively aware of the insider threat landscape, and understand the legal, regulatory, and ethical considerations of working with sensitive information and situations
- You are discreet, thoughtful, and seek to coordinate systemic, cross functional solutions to mitigate risk
- You are adept at translating complex problems into ‘byte-sized’, readily implemented (and preferably automated) solutions
- You have experience with Insider Threat technologies (such as Security Information Event Management - SIEM, User Behavioral Analytics - UBA, Data Loss Prevention - DLP) and an understanding of investigations and/or the intelligence cycle
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Other team members ask for your input to communicate clearly and concisely and you are comfortable composing briefs and assessments consumed by leadership
- You prefer to play as a team and are equally comfortable as the ‘novice’ or the ‘expert’
- You know that people aren’t stupid, but everyone makes mistakes. Your high degree of empathy means that your coworkers trust you to help tackle their security problems, because you never come across as judgmental or condescending.
- You bring 5 or more years of combined experience in security/technology or other analytic roles
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current security career.
- You’ve got a passing familiarity with blockchains and cryptocurrency, or at least a good story about how you thought about investing in Bitcoin in 2014 but decided not to.
- You love crafting metrics that make the intangible tangible
- You’ve got experience in one or more of the following areas: data protection, risk management, counterintelligence, fraud detection, intellectual property theft, access and identity management, or IT engineering
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.