Software Engineer, Data at Brex
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. As a data engineer, you will build the systems, platforms and tools used by analysts and data scientists to solve business problems. Not only will you work with data pipelines, you will also build customer facing products. Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We are looking for people with a strong background in either data infrastructure and/or building data systems. You should have some experience or interest in systems architecture. You should also be a strong communicator and have a keen product sense so you can work with the consumers of your work and independently take projects across the finish line.Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain robust, observable data pipelines.
- Build and own our data lake and data warehouse solutions.
- Design and build user-friendly data platforms upon which data scientists can easily test and deploy models to production.
- Scope, design and build tools for internal users to increase their efficiency ten-fold.
- Design and implement customer facing data services and products from end to end.
- Work closely with analysts and data scientists to deeply understand business problems and be a guiding voice in architecting the solutions.
- Maintain a strong data driven culture within the company by interacting with diverse internal functions.
- Experience with data pipelines and data warehousing, such as Big Query and Snowflake.
- Low tolerance for system failures and a desire to build easily maintainable pipelines and services.
- A level of independence that allows end-to-end ownership of the products and tools you build.
- Keen product sense and customer empathy that leads to user-friendly products.
- Desire to improve the engineering bar for the whole team.
- Ability to devise creative workarounds to difficult project roadblocks.
- Great sense of ownership and the desire to relentlessly chase down issues in systems you own.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have over 15 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Data engineers are expected to understand the business and have input towards our long term vision.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster.