Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
Credit Karma’s Recommendation Systems team is looking for a technical leader to help shape how Credit Karma personalizes messages, stories, offers and other content to our members. Credit Karma serves such content across a variety of channels, including online, emails, push notifications and off-site advertising. Your role will be to drive the architecture, design and implementation of a holistic system that optimizes personalization of content across all channels.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What you’ll do:
- In particular, you will create a system that works to understand the goals of each member. For example, while one member may want to purchase their first home another may look to improve their credit score, while a third member wants to do both of these things and also find better insurance for their car. The system then coordinate personalization across channels to help each member achieve their dream.
- You will have the opportunity to shape how a set of diverse systems evolve that drive these channels today. How these systems work ranges from extremely scalable and driven by machine learning to thoughtfully hand-crafted. In fact, some of our systems execute 10 billion machine learning models daily.
- Elicit and understand overall system requirements
- Collaborate with partners to evolve existing systems for improved coordination
- Develop and roll out the system to deliver measurable results
- Lead a team of top engineers and take responsibility for the team’s results
What’s great about the role:
- You set the technical agenda and ensure use of the best technologies
- You have freedom to design new systems for understanding member journeys and intent
- You will work with a team who experiments, iterates quickly, and learns from data
What we are looking for:
- You led large scope initiatives and owned platforms or large sub systems
- You have deep expertise in building data pipelines or machine learning systems
- You have expert-level skills in Scala, Java or another JVM or functional language
Additional experience you bring:
- Experience in personalization, ad tech or a related field
- Familiar with cloud services and modern data stacks
- Comfortable with high throughput, low latency, highly resilient systems
- You know how to build systems that are business-critical and drive company success
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.