Staff Machine Learning Engineer (Underwriting) at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm’s Machine Learning team solves problems critical to our business model - personalizing shopping experiences, detecting fraud, optimizing interest rates, and assessing creditworthiness in real time. Our innovative products necessitate the creation of novel machine learning solutions to drive both existing and new products.
What you'll do
- Use Affirm’s data to develop machine learning models that predict cash flows, financing programs, and optimize pricing for merchants.
- Build financial forecasting applications for Affirm’s two-sided marketplace
- Research ground breaking solutions and develop prototypes that drive the future of decisioning at Affirm
- Implement and scale data pipelines, new features, and algorithms that are essential to our production models
- Collaborate with the engineering, quantitative markets, merchant pricing, and product teams to define requirements for new products
- Evaluate new data sources to use in a cost-effective way in our models to add value
What we look for
- B.S. with 7+ years of industry experience, M.S. with 5+ years, or PhD with 4+ years
- Proficiency in machine learning with experience in areas such as gradient boosting, deep learning, recommendation systems, computational advertising, reinforcement learning, financial forecasting, time series analysis, anomaly detection, monte-carlo simulations, and Markov decision processes
- Strong programming skills in Python. Experience using frameworks for machine learning and data science like scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, XGBoost, TensorFlow, mllib
- Experience with the AWS technical stack and data infrastructure such as MySQL, Spark, Kubernetes, Docker, and Airflow
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the capability to drive cross-functional requirements with product and engineering teams
- The ability to present technical concepts and results in an audience-appropriate way
- Persistence, patience and a great sense of responsibility – we build the decisioning that drives Affirm’s business!
Location- Remote U.S.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.