TIP: Data Warehouse Engineer at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
This position is through Upwork’s Talent Innovation Program (TIP). Our TIP team is a global group of professionals that augment Upwork’s business. Our TIP team members are located all over the world.
- Analyze our data warehouse infrastructure and data structure to identify improvement areas and how to scale based upon present demand and future projection
- Designing end to end data pipeline given business and ops requirements (ingestion, processing and storage)
- Work with business users to develop and refine requirements for quantitative data (view-through, clickstream, acquisition, product usage, transactions), qualitative data (survey, market research) and unstructured data (blog, social network)
- Designing and developing schema definitions to enable the integration of disparate data sources
Must have requirements:
- 8 to 12 years experience in developing DB schemas, creating ETLs
- Extensive experience with Data Warehouse, Postgres
- Familiarity with Greenplum
- Good knowledge of Operating Systems (Unix or Linux)
- Proven experience of using Hadoop/Hive/Spark or similar technologies.
- Good understanding of distributed data computing concepts, Ingestion technologies, persistent storage, NoSQL (at least one stack, preferably - - MongoDB, DynamoDB), batch and real-time processing of data
- Hands on experience in any of the programming languages (Shell scripting, Python, Java, etc)
- Understanding of the software design and architecture process
- Experience with unit testing and data quality automation checks
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- You were able to tackle challenges head on and had more success stories than failures (Failures are important too)
- Database design experience, fluency in SQL, an ability to read/write JSON and at least one scripting language (Python preferred)
- Understanding of: OLTP, Data Warehouses, ETL workflows, Data modelling, PostgreSQL native replication, ProxySQL, Orchestrator, MHA, Percona server products and toolkits
- Good understanding of scripting/programming languages like Python, Go, Bash, SQL, Scala (optional), Java
- Understanding the fundamental difference between OLTP and Data Warehouse(Modern vs Traditional)
- Great team player but you are not shy of challenging or be challenged on technical issues and have an open-minded mindset.
- Low tolerance of manual work
Nice to have items:
- Knowledge of a wide range of storage types; EBS, NFS, iSCSI, FC, DA as well as OS managing technologies not limited to but including LVM, md
- You are a skilled database engineer with a wide focus on datastores - from PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Greenplum to Spark/Hadoop/Kafka Streaming, etc.
- You have experience managing Data Warehouse and understand the difference from OLTP
- You understand database performance characteristics based on workload from front-end application servers and know your way around analyzing bottlenecks in Linux and the DB engine of choice and have the necessary Linux chops
- Good knowledge of AWS or any Public Cloud Platform technologies a big plus
- You have done performance tuning work and have a story to tell
- An out-of-the-box, critical thinker and you don’t just understand the challenges at the present but also know what to plan and do to improve in the future
Upwork is proudly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce. We never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.