TIP: Sr. Data Platform Engineer (Metadata Management) at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
This position is through Upwork’s Talent Innovation Program (TIP). Our TIP team is a global group of professionals that augment Upwork’s business. Our TIP team members are located all over the world.
- Based on Upwork’s unique ecosystem and data needs, partner with our architects to research and develop solutions to collect, cleanse, store and present metadata of all the data assets across Upwork
- Design, develop and maintain the semantic layer based on our data platform technologies to enable data users with an intuitive and easy-to-use single source of truth
- Develop and maintain tools and applications to ensure full compliance of data privacy laws and regulations in an automated manner
- Develop and maintain data profiling process and implement data quality rules and validation processes, to improve data quality and data issue resolution
- Participate in developing and maintaining our end-to-end data platform, from data acquisition, real-time data stream, to data lake, enterprise data warehouse and front-end data tools and applications, from a metadata-driven perspective
- Create and evolve a data platform that enables your peer data management engineering teams to create data products that serve both internal business units and external clients and partners to maximize the value generated from our data assets in a user-friendly, self-service, robust, efficient and scalable way.
- Partner with cross-functional engineering peers to streamline the flow of metadata in the whole company
Must Haves (Required Skills):
- 5+ years combined experience in building Data Platform and Metadata Management systems in medium and large size companies
- Deep knowledge and experience of metadata management software (such as OvalEdge) and methodologies
- Experience in designing and building an enterprise-level data hub or data portal for end-users to self-service their data needs is a huge plus
- Strong knowledge and experience of the Big Data ecosystem and Cloud-based solutions
- Experience with marketplace businesses, especially as it pertains to working with large datasets inherent to two-sided marketplaces is a plus
- Able to influence, lead, and communicate effectively across engineering teams, business units and other partners to negotiate priority, scope, and design solution
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, including the ability to work in person, virtually, and in a globally-staffed environment with minimum supervision
- Fluent and effective in working with a globally distributed team
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of development processes and agile methodologies
- Can commit at least 3 hours a day overlapping with the normal working hours of Upwork team in California (PST time zone)
Nice to Haves (Not Required):
- Solid experience in data warehouse modelling, architecture, design, and implementation
- Familiar with data visualization tools such as Looker, Domo, or similar
- Knowledge of AWS RDS, AWS ECS, and overall AWS services management
- Experience with networking and interacting with REST APIs
Upwork is proudly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce. We never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.