Gusto is looking for an experienced Design Director to join Brand Studio, a cross-disciplinary group of designers, illustrators, writers, and producers. The mission of our team is to build a category-defining brand and have a meaningful impact on Gusto’s business by shipping creative that resonates with our customers.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses build and take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, our offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Your role will be to lead creative projects as well as inspire and manage a team of designers. This is a highly collaborative role that will require you to work closely with the creative director, marketing leaders, product teams, and your Brand Studio team to ship effective projects and campaigns. We’re looking for a creative problem solver who can think strategically but also loves getting into the details that take design from good to great.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Collaborate with our internal partners across marketing, product, and beyond to shape the strategy, ideation, and execution of world-class creative
- Hire, mentor and guide creatives on day-to-day projects as well as career paths and goals
- Lead the ideation, art direction, and design of projects from start to finish
- Represent the design team to internal stakeholders, and provide input that will help shape planning and strategy
- Deliver and solicit feedback to continually improve the Gusto brand and raise the quality and craftsmanship of our output
- Clearly articulate design decisions to a vast set of partners and stakeholders
- Provide feedback and art direction to external creative agencies and vendors
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 8+ years design/art direction experience
- 2-3 years management experience
- Experience art directing photography and video
- Experience leading medium to large-sized projects with multiple stakeholders
- Experience collaborating closely with marketing organizations
- Appetite for problem solving and a love for fast-paced environments
- Experience designing for web, email, offline media, and video
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.