Design Manager, Product at Chime
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing player in the challenger-banking space, providing mobile and online banking technology in the U.S. and facilitating over 5M accounts with no physical branches. We’re a technology company relentlessly focused on helping our members achieve financial peace of mind. That’s why we offer access to an award-winning bank account that doesn’t charge hidden fees, can give members early access to their paychecks, and enables them to grow their savings automatically. And we’re just getting started. We are proud of our mission, devoted to our members, and passionate about applying technology to the challenge of making financial health a reality for everyone.
We have one of the most experienced management teams in Fintech and have raised over $800M in funding from DST, General Atlantic, Iconiq, Coatue, Dragoneer, Menlo, Access, Forerunner, and others. If you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you.
About the role
We’re seeking a talented and empathetic Design Manager to join the growing Design team at Chime, where we are working hard to better the financial lives of our members. You’ll be both a player and a coach, managing other designers while designing for critical cross-functional projects end-to-end. Your focus will be both making finance simpler for our members and making Chime better for our employees.
As a Design Manager, you’ll be responsible for developing and growing our product design team. You’ll guide designers towards the best possible design and UX outcomes for our members while teaching them to stay mindful of business needs and constraints. You’ll lead by example as you facilitate cross-functional collaborations and identify opportunities for the design team to operate more strategically, holistically, and effectively. You’ll work closely with the Head of Design as you establish a gold standard for design execution and a vision for the future of Chime’s products. Most importantly, you’ll work with each designer on career development and personal growth, ensuring that Chime isn’t just a job, but a place designers can launch their careers.
- Put the user first in all product / design decisions. Don’t lessen their problems, actually eliminate them.
- Put your employees first in all other decisions. Coaches are the bottom of the pyramid, supporting their team, not the other way around.
- Champion high caliber design throughout Chime. You’re a role model to other designers and other parts of the company.
- Own full-stack design work, from hand sketches through to hifi mockups and prototypes
- Present work to, collaborate with, and influence product managers, engineers research, exec team, and other stakeholders
- Manage and iterate upon our team processes, career development, and people tools internally
- Wear multiple design hats, helping to work on any project as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, product design, or related design field (or applicable experience)
- 7+ years of proven history shipping consumer mobile and/or web products
- 1-2 years of experience managing and building small design teams
- Attitude of leadership from behind and a knack for inspiring others to be their best every day
- Ability to balance business objectives with user needs and team needs. You represent all sides of the business and know how to create the best outcomes for each.
- A relentless desire to make banking really, really, really (we mean it!) work for our user’s benefit
What we offer
- Competitive salary based on experience, medical and dental benefits, as well as a 401k match
- Free snacks and drinks, plus weekly catered lunches.
- Flexible vacation policy.
- Monthly happy hours and company events.
- A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of bank.
We know great work isn’t done alone. We’re building a team of individuals to Chime in with their different strengths to benefit our employees and members. We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.