Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within Google[X], Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
As the Head of User Experience at Wing you will collaborate across disciplines to create integrated design solutions ensuring that our users are represented in product and strategy. We're looking for a thoughtful systems thinker who leads with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. You'll lead a passionate team of designers and researchers to enable a future in which autonomous flying robots integrate safely and seamlessly into everyday life. You and your team will design experiences for users receiving drone deliveries, merchants and partners sending drone deliveries, and system operators responsible for monitoring flights. Beyond designing for specific users, you'll lead research to understand the impact of drone delivery on the communities we serve and champion approaches that amplify diversity and inclusion.
What You’ll Do:
- Raise the bar with simple, thoughtful, and delightful design solutions to reach new levels of product experiences and delight
- Mentor, grow, and inspire a talented team of passionate designers and researchers. Provide feedback, listen to perspectives, resolve conflicts, and ensure all voices are heard and considered from the quiet and the different.
- Push the boundaries of the design team’s craftsmanship and the engineering team’s capabilities by employing the first principle approach to explore new ideas.
- Advocate for user centered design and design thinking throughout the company and effectively communicate a design vision.
- Develop core design processes and partner with product and engineering leaders to integrate design into critical workflows.
- Develop a forward looking user research agenda to address critical challenges and uncover new opportunities.
- Communicate effectively up and down the organization and specifically with product, engineering, and executive leadership.
- Present work to internal teams and executive leadership at Wing with clearly articulated design rationale.
- Partner with the marketing team to ensure brand consistency across all user touch points.
What You’ll Need:
- BA/BS degree in Design, HCI, or equivalent practical experience.
- 12+ years of experience working as a design leader including time as a people manager.
- Deep knowledge of design principles for native mobile applications and responsive web applications.
- Experience launching beautiful, thoughtful, and delightful products and iterating quickly in response to user feedback.
- Experience leading a multi-facet design team with skills in research, visual, interaction, motion, prototype, and writing.
- Experience designing with disruptive technologies is a plus.