Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
As a world-class two-sided marketplace, our goal is to attract the world’s best talent and make Upwork a fabulous and easy place to connect and work with clients. As our Lead User Experience Researcher, you'll collaborate with designers, writers, product managers, engineers, and data analysts, uncovering new business opportunities and insights that improve our platform applications. Your research findings will inform business, product, and design decisions.Your Responsibilities:
- Be a core member of the Product team, ensuring User Research helps us meet our strategic business and user experience goals.
- Nurture our backlog of learning opportunities. And, own the end-to-end planning and execution of research studies.
- Study our diverse global user-base, crafting studies to test designs remotely and in different cultural contexts.
- Be responsible for conducting the right research, using the right methodologies, in the right time. Hire and collaborate with hand-picked freelance researchers.
- Conduct strategic to tactical research -- from foundational research to refine our understanding of personas and use cases, all the way to concept and usability testing. Employ a range of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Facilitate and participate in workshops, make sure teams ideate with a user empathy in mind.
- Translate customer insights into meaningful recommendations. Communicate insights within the product and engineering teams in a format that inspires action.
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports, in-person presentations, or facilitation of co-synthesis workshops
- You have broadened mastery over several user research methods
- You can demonstrate how you set the bar for engaging with peers and other disciplines, building positive relationships with executives
- You can show us how you communicated sophisticated concepts and gain traction on hard to tackle problems.
- You're able to speak to design principles and language principles fluently
- You can visualize research insights in ways that go beyond “bullet points," but know when to deliver just bullet points.
- You can draw broad connections and use your insights to influence executives and increase user empathy
- You work effectively collaborating with distributed remote teams.
- You are always thinking “What should we learn”, ensuring that we answer the “not yet articulated” questions.
- You creatively answer questions, Take us through a story about a research method that went beyond interviews, concept validation.
- You can communicate the lessons you learned from failed projects. It happens to all of us! We want to know what you learned?
- You are comfortable facilitating participatory thinking workshops.
- You can dig into thick data and find gold! You have defined, deployed, monitored, and revised UX metrics.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.