Product Design Manager at Faire
We believe that the future is local. That’s why we created Faire, an online marketplace that empowers small business owners and wholesale makers to break free from the inefficiencies of an antiquated wholesale model. We’re building a thriving “Shop Local” community, and have already connected more than 60,000 local retailers with 8,500 plus wholesale makers.
About this role
Faire is a company invested in good design—as a Product Design Manager, you’ll join a tight-knit, collaborative team of designers who care deeply about creating beautiful and intuitive experiences. Our team is at the center of product work at Faire, designing experiences for the thousands of small retailers and maker brands growing their businesses in our marketplace.
We’re looking for team members that excel across the entire product development lifecycle, come with a growth mindset, and bring a genuine desire to learn about our customers. This role will report directly to the Head of Design; as part of the design leadership team, you’ll have the opportunity to help shape the future of our culture, processes, and systems as we continue to grow.
As a Product Design Manager, you will:
- Define and drive the design strategy for a specific pillar of our product
- Build, manage, and lead a high-performing team of designers
- Create an inclusive, creative, and safe environment for new ideas and ways of thinking
- Collaborate with partners across product and engineering to define, build, and release new products and features
- Coach, mentor, and provide feedback to team members, helping them develop clear career goals and steps to achieve them
- Jump into the tools as needed (all of our design managers care deeply about and are actively engaged in our product details, designs, and outcomes)
- 2+ years managing designers (or equivalent experience)
- Experience designing digital products and systems.You have a breadth of knowledge of what goes into product design, from systems to visuals.
- Great communication skills. You present design decisions and processes clearly and confidently, regardless of audience.
- A collaborative approach. You’re a great partner to other designers and your cross-functional teammates.
- A growth-mindset. You’re open and receptive to feedback, and can adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- A sense of humor. We spend a lot of time together—sharing gifs and laughing over lunch keeps us energized and inspired throughout the day.
We value candidates that bring a range of experience from different industries and a variety of creative influences. If you’re a maker or retailer yourself and can bring first-hand experience and empathy for the small business and entrepreneurial journey, tell us your story!
You should also know:
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Are you ready to change an industry? Excited to enter on the ground floor of a fast-paced, high-growth startup in a wide open market?
There are over 1M independent retailers in the US and Canada, doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. Economic data shows: compared to the big box stores, local retailers are flourishing because they offer a better shopping experience. However, the antiquated wholesale industry is holding independent stores back, and making life miserable for the makers trying to reach them.
Our goal at Faire is to rethink the wholesale model with an online marketplace that makes it easy for retailers and makers to connect and succeed together. Instead of flying all over the country to attend trade shows, retailers can visit our site to shop for hundreds of curated makers that they can try out totally risk-free. This revolutionary offering has drawn over 65,000 retailers to the Faire platform in less than a year after our launch.
Our founders led product and engineering for Square Capital ($10B deployed) and the Cash app (Square’s only app in the top 20 of the iOS app store). We're backed by some of the top VC funds including Sequoia, Khosla, Forerunner and Lightspeed; and we were named one of the top 20 YC companies by valuation last year.
We are looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join this movement with us.
To learn more about our culture, please visit our careers page!