Product Designer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the role
The design team at Planet is looking for a strong product design generalist to round out our team. As a product designer you’ll be responsible for end to end execution while being a strong advocate for both users and those impacted by the software you design. You’ll work incrementally with engineering and product on hard problems while keeping an eye on the big picture to bring product vision through to production. Plus, you’ll get a chance to work on impactful problems, in a rapidly evolving industry, that require truly novel design solutions.
A typical week might include
- Gathering customer feedback and conducting user interviews in collaboration with product partners
- Facilitating workshops with product and engineering partners
- Drafting flows and wireframes
- Illustrating high fidelity screens and prototypes
- Partnering with product and engineering to bring your work to life
- You like hard problems and aren’t afraid of complexity
- You take a collaborative approach to problem solving and decision making
- You’re a generalist and enjoy participating in all aspects of the product development process: user research, user testing, ideation, prototyping, and shepherding the work through to production
- You’re curious and want to learn -- be that learning a new tool or diving into the details of how data goes from a satellite to someone’s laptop
- 4+ years professional experience designing on digital products
- A portfolio demonstrating examples of professional projects: the results and how you got there
- End to end design experience: You’ve taken projects from early ideation to live software, gathered feedback and improved upon previous iterations -- you don’t need to be an expert in everything, but you’re well rounded and familiar with all design phases (early ideation, UX, information architecture, prototyping, hand off with development etc)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A strong degree of empathy for others (both end users and co-workers)
- A learning mindset and resilience -- you are able to apply your creative skills to overcome roadblocks and challenges
- A flexible approach: you apply principles over process and can adjust situationally
- A history of positive influence on design & design culture at other companies
Nice to haves
- Professional experience as an embedded member of an agile software team
- In depth experience with user research, collaboration ideation (e.g. design sprints or other exercises) and/or user testing
- Previous experience with GIS, geospatial data and/or remote sensing -- even if it’s only tangential
- Experience designing for SaaS and/or B2B products
- Experience working with Figma
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $208,000. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.