Senior Technical Artist, SpeedTree at Unity
The SpeedTree team builds SpeedTree, the award-winning system for modeling and animating vegetation in film, VFX and game. Our innovative technology allows creators of every background -- from amateur creators to AAA studios and Hollywood FX houses -- to bring their worlds to life with realistic trees, bushes and grass. SpeedTree is now part of Unity, and is looking to bring high-quality naturalistic rendering to an even broader audience. SpeedTree offers a tight-knit, collaborative environment where your voice will be heard.
As a technical artist on working on SpeedTree, you'll help define the next generation of naturalistic 3-D graphics. Your experience and your insights will help us craft the future of the SpeedTree ecosystem. You’ll work alongside the SpeedTree developers to build empowering, user-friendly tools and workflows that lead to beautiful natural landscapes. You’ll explore new graphic techniques and new pipelines to bring our technology to new platforms and new user communities. Your artwork will be seen and used by creators all around the world. You’ll connect to our customers -- who range from industry-leading studios in games and films to individual users -- with advice and learning material.
If you are a tech artist who enjoys solving tricky problems and is passionate about natural rendering this is a prime opportunity to have an impact on an entire industry. You’ll be contributing to the creation of beautiful environments and bringing opportunity to hundreds of thousands of your fellow artists.
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with our developers and technical artists to evolve our tools and pipelines
- Collaborating with photogrammetry and machine learning experts as we integrate new technologies
- Authoring learning materials such as blog posts, videos, and walkthroughs
- Crafting a diverse set of tree assets for our vegetation library
- Modeling and rendering beautiful sample scenes
What we’re looking for
- Proven understanding of modern 3-D graphics and rendering
- Professional expertise with a 3-D modeling tool such as Maya, Blender, or 3DS Max
- Competence with at least one scripting language, such as C#, Python or Lua
- Professional experience contributing to 3-D production pipelines
- Familiarity with SpeedTree or other procedural modeling tool
You might also have
- Strong Unity Engine skills
- Expertise related to forestry, environmental studies, or plant biology
- A history of hands on-learning and problem solving
- Experience with photogrammetry
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,800+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.