Application Architect, Marketplace at Udemy
| San Francisco
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:19 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, August 26, 2020
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As an Application Architect, you will be responsible for leading and building scalable application features and services powering the Udemy marketplace. You will bring technical expertise and experience to Engineering and understand what it takes to build robust and scalable web application solutions. You have strong knowledge of wide range of open source technologies and can guide the evolution of Udemy’s web application architecture, form consensus, collaborate and actively contribute across multiple application engineering teams.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Serve as a critical resource to engineers in all aspects of web applications and guide the overall application design and scaling of our Marketplace platform. Leading and building an overall solution that is robust, secure, scalable and extensible
- Advocate for modern engineering best practices (e.g., code review, automated tools, technical design and documentation).
- Collaborate with various engineering teams in reviewing major project technical designs and code implementations. Form cross-organizational architectural decisions as well as evaluate new technologies when appropriate
- High standard for operational excellence. Ability to quickly lead teams through issue resolution with efficient root cause analysis and prioritize immediate corrective actions and longer-term solutions
- Proactively anticipate technical risks, implement system with fault-tolerant capabilities and ensure system stability and security
- Guide other engineers in writing well tested code with tasteful sense of style both through code reviews and automated tools
- Mentor less experienced technical staff by helping others grow and perform at a higher level
- Be an important part of hiring and interviewing Udemy engineers of tomorrow
We’re excited about you because you have:
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related technical field
- 10+ years of experience developing scalable web applications with proven track record of building solutions for millions of users
- Ability to design, architect and implement resilient, distributed software platforms using microservices architecture
- Excellent leadership and collaboration skills (e.g., coordinating, building consensus, influencing without authority, listening, being open to other perspectives)
- Passion for hands-on coding and contribute to add value to our products.
- Ability to execute in agile environments and juggling between competing priorities within a performance-driven culture
- Enjoys mentoring engineers and providing guidance in technical directions throughout various subsystems
- Strong oral and written communication
- Familiar with modern big data technologies and experience with product projects that integrates with Machine Learning
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description