Controls Engineer at Vicarious
| East Bay
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:50 a.m. (PST) on Friday, April 9, 2021
Vicarious aims to transform robotics by creating robots with human level performance on real-world manipulation tasks. We are passionate about changing the world with science and software, and we are looking for exceptional people to join us in that mission.
As a Controls Engineer, you will work with cross-functional teams to design, validate, and roll out equipment for deployment. You will be key in driving standardization across all lines and processes. You will partner closely with Integration Engineers, Software Engineers, and AI Researchers to bring Vicarious components from initial design through prototype development and finally into full production.
What you'll do
- Develop company level and line/machine level controls standards and specifications for application by internal Applications teams and external customers
- Create through to full deployment line and component level controls architecture
- Create detailed utility layouts for entire lines and interface with Applications teams and customer facilities representatives for implementation
- Layout new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time
- Architect, write, and debug PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, LabView, machine vision, and 3rd party equipment.
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic, and fluid plumbing
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as servos
- Train internal and external teams to support automated equipment after deployment
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability and yield
Who you are
- Earned a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineer, etc.
- Have 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems
- Proficient with process integration and electromechanical/mechatronic systems
- Knowledgeable about Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A)
- Knowledgeable about safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA)
- Proficient with programming industrial equipment
- Experienced with multiple PLC platforms (B&R, Beckhoff, Allen Bradley, Siemens)
- Experienced with text-based programming (C,C++, Python), Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI), Fieldbus networks (EtherCAT, ProfiNet, Safety rated field bus networks), serial communication (RS-232) between PLCs and instruments, and ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Have a well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and organization
- Able to program state machines for complex processes that involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and place automation, data acquisition, and PID control
- Can design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery
Nice to have's
- Earned a Master's in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineer, etc.
- Proficient selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and servo systems
- Experienced with creating detailed schematics in CAD (AutoCAD preferred)
- Able to program and tune variable frequency drives
- Have exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (LVDT, dispense systems, temperature controllers, etc)
- Experienced with programming articulated robots highly desired (UR, KUKA, etc.)
- Experienced with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc)
- Can create technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment
- Has transitioned products and processes from prototype to production
- Able to use 3D CAD packages such as Inventor and SolidWorks is a plus
Vicarious is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We’re committed to fair hiring practices and a welcoming working environment. All candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual identity or expression, medical condition, or socioeconomic status. We value our differences and we’re excited to learn what you can add to our team.
Read Full Job Description