Director of Engineering, MX (Security & SD-WAN) at Cisco Meraki
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
As the Director of MX Software, you will be responsible for a Security and SD-WAN portfolio that connects and protects millions of people around the world. Alongside our hardware engineering and product management teams, you’ll craft our products through new features, whole new product lines, and innovative updates and support for our customers. Meraki's cloud-managed model offers an unmatched opportunity to draw upon data from hundreds of thousands of networks to identify new threats and learn new ways to optimize traffic in real time. You will lead your team in leveraging this advantage to drive industry-leading innovation in both security and SD-WAN technology.
A key focus will be your ability to support and grow a distributed team of embedded, networking, web, and QA experts. You will seek to align everyone to our most important objectives, offering a vision for the team and product that keeps them motivated and looking forward. You will have the opportunity to split your time between our San Francisco and San Jose offices.
- Work with the CTO, product management, and other senior engineering leaders to set the technical vision and short/long-term plans for the MX portfolio
- Partner with our recruiters to create strategies for building a diverse and inclusive team
- Mentor and coach managers and senior engineers through technical and non-technical challenges
- Develop career plans for your direct reports and help them do the same for theirs
- Encourage thoughtful and creative ways to recognize achievements on the team
- Lead performance, compensation, and promotion review processes
- Provide thoughtful counsel as a member of senior engineering leadership
- Assist with engineering-wide initiatives (off-sites, training, process evolution) several times per year
- Represent engineering at external events and speak to Meraki’s mission and vision
- Form close partnerships across Cisco to leverage their technology and talent
- Serve as the highest escalation point for customer-facing issues on the team
You are ideal for this role if you have:
- 10+ years of experience building networking and systems software
- Managed cross-functional teams of more than 10 engineers, and are passionate about growing as a manager and a leader
- Experience building teams, holding decisions on recruiting and organization design
- The empathy and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse and distributed group of engineers and managers at varying stages of their careers
Meraki is based in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the Oracle Ballpark and the Bay beyond. You will have access to an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high quality snacks, a coffee bar, catered lunches every day, and a generous benefits package.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we don't just accept difference - it's one of our key values. Everybody In means we listen to each other's opinions. Everybody is accepted and valued here, and we are a team that works as one towards our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.