Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution: We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones, and all ground-based equipment that supports flight, to make deliveries of vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week. Today, we fly the equivalent of once around Earth’s equator every day, and by the end of 2021, once every hour.
Zipline was founded by engineers dedicated to making the world a better place. We need someone to join our team who is excited to help scale our electrical systems as well as increase capacity in the coming year. Every day, your commitment and decisive actions will help save lives.ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
As an experienced and inspiring leader, you will create a technical vision and lead the small, high-performing team responsible for the delivery of our electrical ground systems, including our unique aircraft launcher, our ‘snap catch’ mid-air recovery system, clean-sheet automation projects, smart battery chargers, and everything else that our team relies on to deliver hundreds of thousands of medical supplies to where they’re needed most. If leveraging your skills to grow a team and create electronics for the harshest environments appeals to you, read on.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Electronic design (including custom PCBAs) for high-power systems, motion control systems, embedded compute, RF and GPS systems, and battery management systems
- Plan and execute a strategic roadmap for Zipline’s electrical ground systems systems, including expanding the capability of our current designs and taking on clean-sheet automation and architectures.
- Grow and lead a small, high-performing team
- Own the root-cause analysis of operations failures, understanding the impact to our remote operations, and delivering on short-term mitigations and longer-term design solutions
- Understand the limits of our hardware, and as Zipline expands into more geographies, translate this into an engineering roadmap to expand our weather and operations envelope
- You have significant prior experience working as an electrical design engineer with safety-critical systems
- You have subject matter expertise in either high-voltage systems or industrial electronics/automation, including electrical engineering design
- Aptitude to apply electrical engineering concepts to real-world applications in manufacturing industries
- Experience growing and leading a high-performing team
- You bring a strategic vision, including long-term planning and resource planning
- You can communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) and build strong relationships within the electrical engineering team and cross-functional teams
- You are capable of clean-sheet design, rapid prototyping, and designing from first principles
- You believe deeply that access matters and that we can and will provide access to essential medical supplies for every person on the planet
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!