The mission of the Customers Platform team is to create systems that enable our Customers teams to build faster, safer, and bigger. We do this by improving our core architecture, building component libraries to match our cross-platform design system, creating developer tools, and enhancing our testing infrastructure. All other Customers teams will lean on this team, so it plays a very central role in how we move forward technically as a company.
Running a team that’s creating systems to help us reach the next 10X requires a variety of skills and comes with many exciting challenges. Your biggest challenges will focus on how to help our teams get more done with less, how to make our apps load faster, how to get the teams to adopt new technologies, and how to ensure we can move quicker with confidence. You’ll help build the systems underlying the largest online grocery store in North America.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a team of full stack engineers (Rails, iOS, Android, front-end) focusing on infrastructure, architecture, and tooling.
- You will work with many teams within the Customers organization to understand their needs, and to help move them onto new systems, tooling, and technologies.
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership
- Strong understanding of how to improve productivity across an organization
- Good understanding of what architectural or tooling improvements are needed on different platforms (BE, FE, iOS, Android)