Engineering Manager, Personas at Segment
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:44 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Personas is Segment’s flagship product built atop our real-time customer data platform. Customers of all sizes rely on Personas to build personalized experiences for their own users, and to engage with their users via other channels.
People use Personas to turn raw events into real users, users into customers, and customers into fans. And the mission of the Personas Experience team is to enable our customers to derive maximum value from this powerful system.
As the Engineering Manager on the Personas Experience team, you’ll lead and grow a team of experienced Segment engineers (and newcomers) in the design and building of interfaces that allow our customers to understand and leverage the full power of our product. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
Who we are:
Imagine a platform that can:
- take the hundreds of thousands messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second
- resolve those events into single users
- bucket those users in real-time according to rich criteria
- ship those group memberships off to a broad range of integration partners
… and there you have the Personas platform.
We’ve built several successful products on top of this platform:
- Segment Audiences, for real-time audience management
- Segment Traits for computation
- Profile API for real-time personalization
Now, we need to make these customer interfaces intuitive, powerful, and beautiful. And we want to be ready to execute quickly and iteratively as our customer and product teams find build the Personas platform into the heart of new and existing companies. That could take the form of an improvement or extension to the above products, or entirely new products in the future.
If you get excited by building products with high customer impact, this is the place for you.
What we do:
- Partner closely with our customer-facing teams and product managers to deeply understand our customers’ evolving needs
- Create well-designed interfaces to allow our customers to introspect on and operate the complex Personas system
- We believe in using the best tool for the job. We write customer facing features using React, NodeJS and GraphQL, and backend features in go
- We load test our pipelines to hundreds of thousands of messages/sec. We then optimize the system’s cost to achieve strong unit economics
- We believe in open source as a market differentiator: https://open.segment.com
Who you are:
- An advisor and coach to your teammates. You don’t have to have been a manager already; this role is open to strong technical and functional contributors who wish to explore servant leadership with supportive mentor(s)
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment. You are driven more by customer impact than technology
- You love iterating on existing products as much as designing and shipping new ones
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously
What you’ll do:
- Manage, mentor, and grow a team of experienced engineers, drawing from within Segment and from external sourcing
- Work on features and systems across our browser-based app, through middleware and our backend control plane using state of the art programming languages, patterns, and UI toolkits
- Shape the direction of the technology powering Segment’s Personas product
- Coordinate execution across multiple engineering, design, research, and PMM teams
- Help the team integrate experienced engineers and early-in-career engineers and interns
- Craft our most critical Personas Customer Experiences along with our Product team, including new ways customers build their largest and fastest paced business around Personas
What you’ll get out of it:
- A welcoming and collaborative environment with people who love working on hard problems
- A hand in shaping the culture of Segment Engineering, and realizing the impact it can have
- Experience at the forefront of Segment and the CDP space
- Managing some of Personas most challenging and exciting projects!
- Grow into managing multiple projects across multiple teams
- The opportunity to give back to the community through open-source projects, blogging, conference talks, etc. and have great personal and career growth!
- Exceptional benefits and perks
- 4+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Desired: Professional experience with React, NodeJS, and enterprise customers
A bit about Segment:
- We started small and have done a lot and have big ambitions.
- We love open source and also support it with paid fellowships and sponsorship.
- People love working at Segment.
- We love talking about what we learned in public and in private.
We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment in all terms and conditions of employment regardless of sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age (over 40), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, domestic partner status, military or veteran status, height, weight, AIDS/HIV status, and any other protected category under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Read Full Job Description