Are you the kind of person who takes pride in being able to fix any technical problem with a toolkit, a schematic, and the right spare parts? What if we took any of those tools away? And what if the system you were fixing was on the other side of the world?
As a Field Support Representative for Zipline’s ground equipment, you will be responsible for maintaining continuity of our lifesaving delivery service by solving technical problems, often in real time, within the ground systems segment. This includes power systems, networking systems, and the systems that launch and recover our drones. In order to be successful in this role, you will need to develop a deep “nuts-and-bolts” understanding of these systems, and you will need to know exactly what types of fixes are possible and most likely to succeed. When a problem threatens to shut down a Distribution Center, you’ll be expected to act quickly, usually within 24 hours, and consider all possible solutions for unblocking operations. This requires thinking creatively, often pursuing multiple options at once, and embracing unorthodox solutions. Afterwards, you will work closely with our engineering teams to make sure the next product generation includes a permanent fix for the problem.
Additionally, you will be expected to develop strong relationships with the maintenance teams at all of Zipline’s Distribution Centers around the world, which means you will spend at least a quarter of your time travelling to those sites (domestically and internationally) and collaborating with the amazing teams that keep the Zipline service running every day.What You'll Do
Be the first person that Distribution Center teams call upon when they have a technical issue that is blocking life-saving deliveries
- Design, prototype, test, document, and roll out process changes and design updates that quickly address safety and reliability issues
- Travel internationally, about 25% of the time, to collaborate with maintenance teams at our global Distribution Centers
- Build relationships with maintenance teams at Distribution Centers around the world
- Become the go-to subject matter expert on troubleshooting and repairing any of the ground systems at a Distribution Center
- Brief engineering teams on the top technical issues occurring in the field, and provide design input for next-generation products from an operability and supportability perspective
- You have a strong record of solving technical problems in high-stakes situations, where human lives are on the line and failure is not an option
- You are the kind of person who can fix any technical problem with a toolkit, a schematic, and the right spare parts -- and sometimes without some of those
- You take operational downtime personally and are motivated by helping people and unblocking operations
- You are equally comfortable and proficient with mechanical tools, electrical testing equipment, and a Linux terminal
- You are able to perform basic data analysis in languages like Python or MATLAB
- You can communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) and have experience creating technical documents and presentations for a broad audience
- You believe deeply in Zipline’s mission to provide access to essential medical supplies for every person on the planet
- You are willing to work some nights/weekends
- You are eligible to work in the US
- You are willing to travel domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!